As most of you know, I hardly do any baking. Apart from baking a few breads and cakes, I regularly do not bake. But this banana bread recipe is so easy and versatile that even a child can make it. Yes, it is that easy and therein lies the charm of this recipe for me for a novice baker.
Try it. Here is the simple recipe.
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2-3 overripe bananas
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- Peel and mash the bananas well with a fork. Always use only overripe bananas as they are best for making this bread. Add melted butter to it and mix. Now add the baking soda and 1 pinch of salt. Add vanilla essence and mix well.
- Now add beaten egg, nuts and whole wheat flour. Mix till well combined. Don’t overmix. Just mix till everything comes together and you get a gooey batter.
- Take a loaf tin/mould and grease it well with melted butter.
- Preheat your oven for 15 minutes at 175 degrees C.
- Pour the batter in the greased tin/mould. Flatten it on top.
- Now bake it for 50 minutes in the pre-heated oven. You can check with a toothpick or fork after 40 minutes to see if it done.
- After 50 minutes take it out and cool the bread on a wire rack. Serve warm or cold.
- It is really delicious. Try out other variations to the recipe by adding different fillings. Have it with tea, as a snack or give it to yoru kids for their short break.
2. You could also use dates/date syrup/jaggery in place of sugar. And always adjust sugar as per your taste. It will vary depending upon how sweet the bananas are.
3. You can use the same batter to make banana nut muffins. Your baking time then will reduce.
Do let me know how your banana bread turns out.