I love Fried Chicken. It is crispy, crunchy, spicy and so very delicious. But it is fried and must be had once in a while. I like it both at KFC and Burger King (the grilled variety as well) but I don’t like to eat chicken skin and mostly discard it. That is where most of the crunch and flavour is. Then I tried making KFC style spicy chicken drumsticks at home. Made it in airfryer and it was unbelievably juicy and crunchy. You would not be able to tell that it is not deep fried. And now I make this regularly at home. If you are a fan of fried chicken then you have to try my recipe of KFC style crispy chicken drumsticks made in Airfryer.
Here is the simple recipe. Do follow my tips and instructions to the T for the perfect crunch.
- 500 gm. chicken drumsticks without skin
- Some plain vegetable oil
- For the marinade
- 1 tbsp. ginger paste
- 1 tbsp. garlic paste
- 2 tbsp. yoghurt/curd (hung from which all whey has been taken out)
- salt to taste
- Red chilly powder or tabasco sauce as per the heat you like (I use 1 large tbsp.)
- For the crispy chicken
- Plain flour 1 cup with some dry mixed herbs, salt and 1 tbsp. pepper or chilli powder
- 3 eggs beaten
- For the outer coating
- ½ cup cornflakes + ½ cup breadcrumbs with some mixed herbs, salt and chilli powder.
- First marinate the chicken drumsticks with the marinade ingredients for 2-4 hours minimum. To make the marinade, mix all the ingredients well. The marinade is quite thick. Taste it to check for balance. Make some slashes in the deep parts of the drumsticks and massage them well all over with the marinade.
- To make crispy chicken
- Preheat your Airfryer at 160 degrees for 8 minutes. Brush the sides of the basket with oil.
- Take seasoned flour in a shallow plate, beaten egg in another one.
- Take cornflakes in a ziplock bag and lightly crush with a rolling pin. Mix this with breadcrumbs. I make my own breadcrumbs by toasting the bread slices and then making crumbs in a blender.
- Keep these ready.
- Use one hand as it tends to get dirty when dipping. Take the marinated chicken drumsticks and dunk them well in seasoned flour so that they are coated well. Now dust them lightly to remove excess flour.
- Next dip them in beaten egg mix. Your hands will get sticky now.
- Take them and rub them in cornflakes and breadcrumbs mix to get a nice thick coating. Keep them aside.
- Repeat this method till all drumsticks are ready coated.
- Now, brush them or spray them with a little oil.
- Put them in your airfryer basket and put it in the airfryer. My entire batch fitted at one go. Otherwise you can airfry in two batches.
- Airfry at 160 degrees for 10 minutes. Open Airfryer half way at 5 minutes and turn the drumsticks once.
- After 10 minutes increase the temperature to 200 degrees and airfry for 6 minutes more to get a nice golden brown colour.
- Your airfried chicken drumsticks KFC style is ready to serve. Serve with onion rings, mint chutney or good old ketchup. Enjoy it hot.
If you don't have an airfryer, you could bake them in a conventional oven too.
The lower termperature - higher temperature combination while cooking helps in cooking the chicken perfectly keeping it moist inside and crunchy outside.
You could use only breadcrumbs too but using cornflakes makes it crunchier.
You can replicate the same recipe for chicken wings or chicken strips. Just modify the cooking time to adjust the kind of meat you are cooking.
Do try this recipe and share with me if you make it. Use hashtag #rachnacooks on Insta or Twitter when you do.
Chicken drumsticks prepared and ready to go into Airfryer.
Chicken drumsticks in the airfryer.
Do also share the post with your friends if you like the recipe. Pin it here:
Here is my review of Airfryer (not sponsored)
Here are some delicious Airfryer recipes if you would like to try.
Subscribe to my monthly newsletter for more such recipes, health, food and fitness tips:
Click here to join