I recently had this at an Oriental Restaurant and instantly fell in love with it. Panang Curry is also called Penang Curry and is a good variation of Thai Red Curry. I use the readymade Thai Red Curry Paste along with peanut butter to make a deliciously sublime coconut-based curry that is so tasty that you can keep having it. Do try my easy recipe:
- 500 gms. prawns
- ½ cup prawn stock (or chicken stock or water)
- 2 tbsp. Thai red curry paste
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 400 ml. coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp fish sauce or oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp. palm sugar or jaggery
- 3 tbsp. peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. toasted peanuts for garnish
- 1 green capsicum chopped
- chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- salt to taste
- Peel and devein the prawns. Use the heads and shells to make a stock. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add Thai red curry paste and tumeric and fry for a minute.
- Now add peanut butter and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar and salt.
- Add the prawn stock or water along with chopped capsicum and cook the sauce well.
- Now add the prawns and cook for a couple of minutes more. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with jasmine rice or any other boiled rice.
You can add red chilli powder or sliced red chillies if you like it spicy.
Prawn stock adds more depth of flavour but if you don't have it just use veg stock or water.
You can use any vegetables in place of capsicum.
Do tag #rachnacooks if you make this and share pictures. I would love to know if you tried out this easy recipe.
Do you want a FREE 4 week Lunchbox Planner with different daily lunch ideas along with BONUS Snack ideas, all healthy and wholesome with recipe links? Get it here.