Since my husband is growing some lovely fresh lettuce varieties in our terrace garden, I have been spoiled for choice with crackling fresh lettuce leaves for my salad and sandwiches. This recipe is a simple Chicken and lettuce salad that is extremely versatile and has a light extra virgin olive oil dressing.
You may substitute chicken with cottage cheese or any other meat depending upon your personal preference. I used grilled chicken for this one. It is a great recipe to utilize leftover grilled chicken from your barbecues.
You may try this tandoori chicken recipe.
Here is my simple chicken and lettuce salad:
Chicken and lettuce Salad Recipe
- 1 head lettuce leaves washed and dried left whole
- 1 Chicken breast grilled and shredded
- Some cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 medium onion sliced
- Some roasted nuts like almonds or walnuts sliced
For the dressing
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar or lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. Chilli flakes
- 2-3 cloves garlic crushed and minced
- Some lemon or orange zest
- 1 tsp. palm sugar or jaggery grated
- Salt to taste
- Mix all the ingredients of dressing together and chill in the fridge.
- Wash and dry all the veggies and keep them chilled. You can chop the lettuce but I prefer to leave the leaves largely whole.
- Keep your roast chicken shredded.
- To serve, add the dressing to the veggies and chicken and toss well. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve immediately.
- Once mixed, you can’t store the salad for long as it starts losing its crunch and getting watery.
- You can add more veggies like bell peppers, corn etc. as per your liking.
- This is a good way to utilize leftover grilled chicken. You can check out this tandoori chicken recipe.
- You can pair this with some toasted bread for a hearty meal.
Do make this simple yet delicious salad this summer and enjoy guilt free with your family.
If you like the recipe, do share it.