Plump large eggplants or brinjal have almost exclusively been used to make baingan bharta at my place. This is one simple recipe that can transform this bland vegetable to a delightfully spicy and tasty dish. It is also a very simple dish to prepare. Here is the recipe of baingan bharta recipe as my mum made it UP style.
Baingan Bharta Recipe
- 1/2 Kg large eggplants
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2-3 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp. ginger garlic green chillies minced or crushed
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. chilly powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. kashmiri chilli powder optional
- 2 tsp. mustard oil or any other oil that you have
- salt to taste
- coriander leaves to garnish
- Make gashes on brinjal. Add some garlic cloves. Roast the brinjal on fire till they are charred on the outside and well cooked on the inside.
- Let them cool and then peel off the burnt skin. Finely chop or mash the pulp with the garlic and keep aside.
- Now take mustard oil in a pan. Put in cumin seeds and allow them to sputter.
- Add onions and ginger-garlic-chilly chopped. Cook for a few minutes till onions are transparent and slightly golden.
- Now add the tomatoes and cook some more till they have released their water.
- Add in the brinjal pulp and all the masalas including salt. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for about 5 minutes till everything seems well integrated. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Your baingan ka bharta is ready. Serve hot.
2. Some people discard the stub but I enjoy having it. 3.Have baingan ka bharta with hot rotis smeared with ghee. Absolute bliss!
Here’s a video of baingan bharta recipe that will help you:
Follow my easy step-by-step method on how to make baingan bharta and tell me how it turned out.
Do also share with your friends