Chicken Pulao is a comforting one-pot dish that is surprising easy to make and is really satisfying to eat. If you love chicken biryani, you will enjoy chicken pulao. It is definitely a poor man’s version of chicken biryani but that does not mean that it is less flavourful. It just is way easier to cook. Surprise your family with it for a weeknight dinner. Serve it with veg raita and boiled eggs and have a truly tasty meal. Here’s my recipe of chicken pulao:
Easy Chicken Pulao Recipe
- 500 gm. chicken pieces with bone
- 2 cups basmati rice washed and soaked for half an hour in water
- 2 large onions sliced thin
- 2-3 tbsp. ghee or clarified butter
- 4-5 cloves
- 10-12 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon piece
- 2 mace
- 2-3 green cardamom
- Marinade for chicken
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 4-5 green chillies slit
- 1 tbsp. Kashmiri red chilli powder for colour
- 1 tbsp. chilli powder optional
- 1 tbsp. tandoori chicken powder
- 3 tbsp. thick curd
- 1 tbsp. chopped mint
- 1 tbsp. chopped coriander
- 2 tsp. ghee or oil
- salt to taste
- Mix together all the marinade ingredients and make a paste. Marinate chicken pieces in it for an hour.
- Now heat ghee in a kadhai/thick bottom pan. Put in all the whole spices and cook for a minute. Now add the sliced onions and fry them till they are dark golden in colour. Add the marinated chicken and fry for about 4-5 minutes stirring continuously.
- Now add the soaked and drained basmati rice and gently mix.
- Add water to cover chicken and rice. Add more salt for the rice. Now cover and cook for about 30 minutes till the chicken and rice are well cooked. Garnish with some chopped coriander and mint and serve hot.
- Your delicious chicken pulao is ready to eat.
Do tag #rachnacooks if you make chicken pulao and share pictures. I would love to know if you tried out this easy recipe.
Do you want a FREE 4 week Lunchbox Planner with different daily lunch ideas along with BONUS Snack ideas, all healthy and wholesome with recipe links? Get it here.