A few weeks ago, I went to a local farmer’s market and got a few packets of millets like Barnyard millet and foxtail millet. Though I use sorghum (jowar), ragi (finger millets) and pearl millet (bajra) regularly, mostly I use them in powder form. I add them to my rotis, dosas or adais. I barely ever use the whole millet. So, I tried out a couple of recipes replacing them for rice. The first one I made was a khichdi using dal, millets and veggies. That turned out pretty nice.
Then I tried making upma with the millets. Here’s my recipe. It’s quite simple and easy to do.
Healthy Millet Upma Recipe
- 1 cup millet
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 2 tomatoes chopped finely chopped finely
- 2-3 green chillies slit in halves optional
- 1 cup vegetables chopped beans, carrots, bean sprouts, mushroom
- 1 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder optional
- finely chopped cilantro or coriander leaves
- 1 tsp. Ghee for serving optional
- For tempering
- 1 tbsp. ghee
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. urad dal split black gram
- 1 pinch asafetida
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Soak the millets for half an hour.
- In a pressure cooker, heat the ghee.
- Add mustard seeds, allow to sputter. Add cumin seeds, urad dal, asafetida and curry leaves. Fry for 30 seconds.
- Add in the chopped onions and fry till translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, slit green chillies and tomato. Let it cook down for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the soaked and drained millets and fry in the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Add in the turmeric powder, garam masala powder, chilli powder and salt.
- Add about 2 cups water. Millets need more water to cook than regular grains.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles. Switch off the heat and let is cool down.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with a tsp. of ghee on top.
This is tasty, healthy and makes for a filling breakfast. I normally pair this with boiled or fried egg to make a complete meal out of it.
Do try and let me know how you liked it.