In Uttar Pradesh, this sweet sour kaddu or yellow pumpkin curry is very popular with puris and parathas . A good number of people have it for breakfast. In my home, mum would make this khatta meetha kaddu and serve it with a delicious besan ki roti. That besan ki roti is tasty enough to go with any curry, but goes especially well with this easy pumpkin curry. This khatta meetha kaddu can also be had if you are fasting. Just replace normal salt with sendha namak or pink/black salt. So here’s my simple recipe:
Khatta Meetha Kaddu
- 1/2 Kg. Pumpkin chopped into pieces
- 1 tbsp. mustard oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp. fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 tbsp. ginger-chilli chopped
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. chilli powder
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1 tbsp. amchur powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and cook for a minute or two.
- Add ginger chilli paste and cook for 1 minute. Now add the pumpkin pieces, sugar and salt and 1/2 cup water. Cook covered for 5-7 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, chilli powder and some more water. Mix well and cook covered for 5-6 minutes till the pumpkin is well cooked.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Now add amchur powder and cook for a minute more.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.
Do try this kaddu recipe and share with me how you liked it. It is pretty easy to prepare and nutritious too.
If you enjoy this recipe, do share it:
Do you want a FREE 4 week Lunchbox Planner with different daily lunch ideas along with BONUS Snack ideas, all healthy and wholesome with recipe links? Get it here.