Paneer Makhani or Paneer Makhanwala is a silken, creamy and smooth gravy with melt-in-your-mouth pieces of cottage cheese. It is a favourite for vegetarians when they order outside. Now you can make it at home and it tastes just like what you get in a restaurant. Follow my easy, step-by-step recipe and earn praise at home.
Paneer Makhani Restaurant Style | Cottage Cheese in a Buttery Gravy
- 250 gm. fresh paneer cottage cheese cut in cubes
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 tbsp. ginger chopped
- 1 tbsp. garlic chopped
- 3 large tomatoes chopped
- 3 green cardamom
- 1-2 small pieces cinnamon
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2-3 tbsp. cashews
- 1 tbsp. kasuri methi
- 2 tbsp. cream optional
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. chilli powder optional
- 1 tbsp. deggi mirch for colour
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- Salt as per taste
- Melt butter in a pan.
- Add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and cardamom and fry for a minute.
- Now add chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste and fry on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes till the onions are golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and cashews and fry for another 8 minutes or till tomatoes are mushy.
- Turn off the gas and cool down.
- Now blend to a thick paste.
- Heat the pan again and pour this thick gravy into it.
- Stir it constantly on low heat. The gravy has the tendency to sputter so you can cover the pan half way.
- Continue to stir for about 10-15 minutes till the gravy becomes glossy. This shows that it is well cooked.
- Now add the coriander powder, garam masala, both kinds of chilly powder, sugar and salt. Add about a cup of water to make a thick gravy. Stir and taste. Adjust seasoning.
- Add the paneer cubes in . Don't cook for more than 2-3 minutes now. Crush kasuri methi and add to the gravy.
- Switch off the gas. Add a swirl of cream and mix well. This enhances the creamy texture of the gravy.
- Serve hot with rotis, naan or rice
This is a really easy and tasty paneer makhani recipe. It is high on Calories due to the use of rich ingredients hence make it an indulgence only once in a while. My family loves this recipe.
Do tag #rachnacooks if you make this and share pictures. I would love to know if you tried out this easy recipe.
Subscribe to my monthly newsletter for more such recipes, health, food and fitness tips:
Click here to join