Sabudana vada is a delicious Indian snack that is made with sago or tapioca pearls. I call it the fried version of sabudana khichdi which is another favourite at home. It has the same ingredients but is deep fried and really tasty. Oh, but not really if you make it in the Air fryer like I do. All the taste without the calories. I have shared both the methods here.
Here is how to make sabudana vada in Air fryer:
Sabudana vada Recipe | How to Make Sabudana Vada
- 1 cup sabudana or tapioca pearls soaked for 5-6 hours
- 2 cups potatoes boiled and mashed
- ½ cup peanuts roasted and coarsely pounded
- 2 tsp. ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt or black salt if fasting
- 2 tbsp. cilantro leaves chopped
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. sugar optional
- 2 tsp. oil
- Soak sabudana or tapioca pearls for 5-6 hours or overnight in water just above the surface of sabudana. Now drain the remaining water after soaking. Sabudana would have fluffed up and must be soft when squished. If not, soak it for more time.
- Mash the boiled potatoes. Roast peanuts and coarsely pound them.
- Mix together potato mash with sabudana, coarsely pounded peanuts, finely chopped ginger, chillies, cumin seeds, black salt and sugar (if using). Add lemon juice and mix everything together.
- Now using your hand form flat patties or vadas.
For Air frying
- Preheat air fryer to 390 F or 180 C. Lightly brush the basket with oil and also brush the prepared sabudana vadas or patties.
- Fry for about 10 minutes. Flip the patties once in the middle.
- Once they are golden brown and crunchy on the outside, they are ready to eat. Serve hot with ketchup, mayo, green chutney or any dip of your choice.
For Deep frying
- Now heat vegetable oil and bring it to medium heat.
- Now drop vadas one by one so that they become dark golden brown on the outside and cooked inside.
- It takes about 5-7 minutes for one batch of 5-6 vadas.
- Now drain them on absorbent paper and serve hot with ketchup or chutney. Your delicious sabudana vada is ready to serve.
- Only well soaked and soft sabudana should be used to make vadas.
- Don’t overcook potatoes or they will absorb a lot of oil while frying.
- Making these in the Air fryer does not impact the taste in any way. They are super crunchy and delicious.
- Don’t let the oil be too hot while frying else the vadas will become brown very fast and will be uncooked inside.
- You can use normal salt if not making it for fasting. I like the taste of black salt anyway.
Mash potatoes. Add coarsely pounded peanuts, chopped ginger, chopped chillies, black salt, sugar, lemon juice and cumin seeds.
Add soaked and drained sabudana along with chopped coriander leaves.
Now form flat patties or vadas with your hands.
For Air frying:
Preheat air fryer to 390 F or 180 C. Lightly brush the basket with oil and also brush the prepared sabudana vadas or patties. Fry for about 10 minutes. Flip the patties once in the middle.
Once they are golden brown and crunchy on the outside, they are ready to eat.
Serve hot with ketchup, mayo, green chutney or any dip of your choice.
For Deep frying:
Deep fry them in hot oil.
Hot sabudana vadas are ready to serve.
Do share with your friends. If you liked the recipe, please give it a star * rating.
You May Also Like