Sattu or roasted gram flour is commonly used in Northern India particularly in states of Bihar, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh. I distinctly remember how sattu was sold on roadside carts piled high with green chillies and onion. This was commonly eaten by farm labourers and daily wage earners as a filling and nutritious meal. Sattu is high energy and very high in protein. It is consumed both as sharbat (or savoury or sweet drink) as well as in food items by making sattu ka paratha, litti chokha etc.
How to Make Sattu?
You can easily buy it readymade or make it yourself. Sattu is made by grinding roasted gram (either whole or as dal). You may or may not remove the husk.
Benefits of Sattu for Weight Loss
This common man’s food has now come into the limelight due to its amazing health benefits:
- It is high in fibre, protein and energy. You can have sattu drink as a complete breakfast or meal.
- It is rich in iron, manganese, and magnesium, and low on sodium. Hence it keeps the body cool in summer and provides instant energy to work.
- It is rich in soluble fibre and helps rejuvenate the digestive system and keep it healthy.
- Sattu keeps the body cool and hydrated and is perfect to keep the body protected from sunstroke in summer.
Here is my easy Sattu Drink or Sattu ka namkeen sharbat Recipe that you can make in 5 minutes:
Makes 2 glasses
½ cup sattu or roasted gram flour
1.5 cups chilled water
½ tsp. roasted cumin powder
½ tsp. black salt
¼ tsp. salt
1 lemon juice
1 tbsp. onion finely chopped
1 green chilli finely chopped (optional)
1 tbsp. cilantro and mint finely chopped
Some ice cubes optional
Recipe of Sattu Drink
Take ½ cup sattu in a bowl. Add cumin powder along with the salt and ½ cup of water.
Now mix well with a whisk or a fork so that there are no lumps.
Add the remaining water to thin down the drink. Add lemon juice.
Taste and adjust seasoning.
Garnish with chopped onion, green chilli, cilantro (coriander leaves) and mint leaves. Serve immediately.
Your sattu drink or sattu ka sharbat is ready to serve. Enjoy!
- You can make this drink as thin or thick as you like. Needless to say that more sattu in your drink gives you more nutrition.
- You can do away with onion or green chilli as per your taste. But this is a complete drink perfect for summer.
- You can add ice cubes if you so like.
Sattu Drink | Sattu ka Namkeen Sharbat
- ½ cup sattu or roasted gram flour
- 1.5 cups chilled water
- ½ tsp. roasted cumin powder
- ½ tsp. black salt
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. onion finely chopped
- 1 green chilli finely chopped optional
- 1 tbsp. cilantro and mint finely chopped
- Some ice cubes optional
- Take ½ cup sattu in a bowl. Add cumin powder along with the salt and ½ cup of water.
- Now mix well with a whisk or a fork so that there are no lumps.
- Add the remaining water to thin down the drink. Add lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with chopped onion, green chilli, cilantro (coriander leaves) and mint leaves. Serve immediately.
- Your sattu drink or sattu ka sharbat is ready to serve. Enjoy!
If you liked this Sattu drink or sattu ka sharbat recipe, then I request you to give a * star rating for the same either on the recipe card or in your comments. Thanks.
Do let me know if you try this recipe.
You may also like these summer coolers from the blog:
You may also like