I have many pasta recipes on the blog and this one spaghetti with chicken meatballs is very popular with my kids. This is a classic Italian spaghetti recipe with clean and delicious homely made. It is not difficult but definitely takes more time than rustling up a simple pasta dish. It is rich and redolent with simple flavours. Here is my spaghetti with chicken meatballs recipe:
Spaghetti with chicken meatballs | Spaghetti Recipes
For around 25 medium sized meatballs
- 300 g Chicken mince
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2-3 sprigs basil you may use rosemary or parsley too
- a large pinch of fresh black pepper
- 1 egg
- breadcrumbs made with 2 bread slices
- salt to taste
For the spaghetti:
- 500 g. spaghetti
For the tomato sauce:
- 400 g. Tomato puree
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1 red chilly finely chopped
- Basil leaves large handful
- 1 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano powder
- some grated cheese
- a pinch of sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil for cooking
For the chicken meatballs
- To make the meatballs, mince together chicken breast with chopped basil, black pepper, salt and chopped garlic.
- Break the egg in a bowl and beat it lightly. Now add the egg and fresh breadcrumbs to the chicken mince mix and mix well.
- Also add olive oil to the mix. Form meatballs of the desired size with your hands.
For Making Spaghetti
- Cook your spaghetti according to instructions on the pack while you start preparing the sauce.
- That takes about 8-10 minutes in salted boiling water. Now drain the spaghetti and reserve some of the water to add to the sauce if it is too dry. Add some olive oil to the drained spaghetti.
For Making the sauce
- In a saucepan, lightly saute finely chopped onion in olive oil till transparent. Now add in the garlic and chilly and fry for a couple of minutes more. Pour in the tomato puree and cook for some time. This takes about 7-8 minutes. Put in the large basil leaves. Add salt, sugar and pepper along with oregano. Taste and check seasoning. Now put in the meatballs and cook it for a few minutes in the tomato sauce.
- Just before taking it off the heat, put in some grated cheese. Don't allow the sauce to become very thick. If needed add a little reserve water that you kept while cooking pasta. Put the cooked pasta back in pan and take some of the tomato sauce and mix well with pasta. Leave the rest of the sauce with meatballs to serve on top.
- Your spaghetti with meatballs are ready to serve.
To serve, take your prepared spaghetti in the plate and top up with the tomato sauce and meatballs. Serve hot with a sprinkling of cheese and fresh basil leaves. It is tasty and a complete balanced meal.
Note that I prefer a bit more spice. So you may add the pepper and chilly as per the level of heat you desire. Also, you can increase the quantity of oil and deep fry your meatballs. I prefer to use a little less oil in my cooking.
If you liked the recipe, do share:
Do also try out the other pasta recipes on the blog.