Tehari Recipe also called tahari or tahiri by some is a pulao kind of dish that used to be made on many lazy Sunday afternoons in my home. A one-pot meal, it is easy to cook and tasty too. And you know the most coveted part was the slightly burnt portion of tahari from the bottom that we siblings would fight over.
Here’s my simple veg tahari recipe. Though this one has potatoes and peas, you can easily add other vegetables of your choice as well. Most people prepare it with potatoes, peas and cauliflower. Sometimes I add soya chunks to it as well. This is a tehari recipe made in pressure cooker:
Tehari UP style
- 2 cups Basmati rice soaked for half an hour in plain water
- 2 tbsp. oil or ghee
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 cloves
- 10-12 black peppercorns
- 2 black cardamom
- 2 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 4-5 green chillies split
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 cup diced vegetables (potato cubes, cauliflower florets and peas)
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat oil/ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cloves, pepper and cardamom and cook for a minute.
- Add the chopped onions and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the ginger-garlic paste and slit green chillies and fry for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook till slightly mushy.
- Now add in the chopped veggies and fry in the masala for a couple of minutes.
- Add the rice along with water, salt and the spice powders.
- Cook for 2-3 whistles till rice is well-ccoked and not mushy and the veggies are cooked.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with raita and papad.
Pictures for Tahari Recipe
I normally use a pressure cooker to make my Tehari. It is faster and easier that way. You may, of course, use a thick-bottomed pan for the same. Heat the oil in the pressure cooker. Put in all the whole spices with cumin and fry for a minute. Add the chopped onions and fry for a couple of minutes till they are transparent. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for another couple of minutes. Add in the slit green chillies and fry for one more minute. Add tomatoes and fry till mushy. Now tip in the cut veggies and fry lightly. You can add a little water if everything becomes too dry.
Now add in the rice. Put in all the dry masalas along with salt. Add 2-3 cups of water and close the lid of the pressure cooker. It takes about 2-3 whistles to cook everything and for the slight burning at the bottom. Don’t keep it too long on the fire or you may end up with horribly burnt mess. Open the cooker and gently fluff up the rice. Serve hot garnished with chopped coriander.
We normally serve veg tahari at home with a hot green chutney and some cool veg raita. A perfect Sunday afternoon lunch. This can be counted among Lucknow famous food.
If you liked this recipe, please give it a * star rating either on the recipe card or on the comment. Thanks.
Do click and check other Uttar Pradesh food recipes on the blog.
Do you want a FREE 4 week Lunchbox Planner with different daily lunch ideas along with BONUS Snack ideas, all healthy and wholesome with recipe links? Get it here.