One of the saving graces of the hot summer months in India is aam or mango. Our country is blessed with an amazing variety of mangoes. I have enjoyed Dussehri, safeda, langda, chausa in the North, Alphonso and Kesar in the West and Banganpally, Neelam, Malgoba, Mallika and so many others here in the South. Each one spectacular and lip smackingly tasty. But before the ripe mangoes arrive, we get the bounty of raw mangoes. Raw mangoes are consumed in many fabulous forms in our country. Raw mango chutney is made all through summer in my home. Then there are the delightful mango pickles. Raw mango is also used to make sour dal that was tangy and yummy. And of course aam panna which is a delicious summer cooler.
Today, I am going to share a really simple Aam Panna recipe or Raw mango cooler drink recipe. This drink is very tasty and kid friendly. It hydrates the body as well as keeps it cool.
Aam Panna Recipe | Raw Mango Cooler
- 2 Raw Mangoes about 1/2 Kg. or 1 pound
- 1 cup sugar or jaggery
- 1 tsp. black salt
- 1 tbsp. cumin powder
- 1 tbsp. salt
- mint leaves crushed
- mint leaves
- ice cubes
- Boil raw mangoes in the pressure cooker till soft. You can steam them or boil in a closed pan too. Remove the pulp and discard the peel and seed. Mash the pulp nicely. If it is very fibrous, you may sieve it.
- Now add jaggery powder or sugar to the raw mango pulp. Add black salt, normal salt and cumin powder. Add a few mint leaves say about 1 tbsp. Blend together for 2 pulses.
- This is your aam panna concentrate. Pour about 2-3 tbsp. of concentrate in a glass. Top with 3-4 ice cubes and water. Garnish with mint leaves and serve chilled.
- Your delicious aam panna is ready to serve.
- I love using jaggery as it is preferable to processed sugar. Currently I have some lovely organic jaggery at home. But you can easily use normal sugar or brown sugar. If you use brown sugar/jaggery, your aam panna will be brown in colour.
- The concentrate keeps easily for about a week in the fridge. It does not last that long though.
- This sweet sour mango cooler is tasty and also keeps your body cool in summers. You may also add soda instead of the water for a frizzy natural twist. This easily beats your colas both in nutrition and taste. Try it.
This easy aam panna recipe can be made with just a few ingredients. Aam panna is a perfect summer drink and so easy to make at home. Have it this summer.
Do try this recipe and let me know. If you liked this aam panna recipe then I request you to share a * rating either on the recipe or with your comment. Thank you.
You may also like:
Please do share with your friends.