Make a masala paste of green chillies, coriander leaves, ginger and garlic along with tomatoes. This will have a greenish tinge.
Add in cumin seeds and asafoetida and allow to sputter for about 30 seconds. Now add whole spices and cook for a minute more.
Add in the masala paste. Cook for about 10 minutes till tomatoes are well cooked and there is no kachcha or raw smell to ginger-garlic paste. You can see that oil comes out on the sides of the masala.
Add salt and coriander powder. Cover and cook on low heat till the gravy is done. Takes about 5-10 minutes.
1. This is best made with fresh peas though you could use frozen peas too. The flavour will be different then.
2. Some people also add finely cubed potato to the dish. In case you are using potatoes, cook them along with the green peas mixture.
3. You may use onion in the masala but I avoid it.
4. Make the curry thick or runny as per your preference.
5. Mustard oil is preferred though you may use regular vegetable oil.
6. This is really delicious and unique pea curry.