Best Salsa Recipe (Step-by-step)
This is my best salsa recipe that tastes amazing and is so simple to make at home. You will never buy store-bought salsa again.
Servings 8 people
- 4 Tomatoes ripe
- 1-2 jalapenos or spicy green chillies
- 1 red onion chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. cilantro or coriander leaves
- salt to taste
Char the tomatoes on stove till the skin turns black. Peel and cut into pieces.
If you can oven roast the garlic and onion as well. Else, I used fresh garlic and onion chopped.
Chop jalapenos. If you prefer lower heat, take out the seeds before chopping and also use just 1 or ½ jalapenos. I used spicy green chillies as I had run out of fresh jalapenos.
Now blend together tomatoes, onion, garlic and chillies so that some chunky bits still remain.
Add salt and lemon juice to taste. Taste and adjust seasoning and serve immediately.
1.Charring the tomatoes adds a nice, smoky flavour to the salsa. And on gas it hardly takes any time. You could quickly grill tomatoes or even boil them.
2. For the best flavour, get smoky canned tomatoes especially Italian ones like roma tomatoes. Those have a delicious taste and a very red colour.
3.Do not use raw tomatoes. If not charred, at least boil them for a couple of minutes and peel the skin before chopping.
4. Don’t completely blend the ingredients or you will end up with a tomato chutney.
5. This tomato salsa must be immediately consumed.
6. If you wish to store it for a day or two longer, then just blend the ingredients but don’t add lemon juice and salt. Add those just before serving.
Calories: 19kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 177mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 530IU | Vitamin C: 13.1mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 0.2mg