Easy South Indian lemon rice recipe
This is the easy lemon rice recipe that has simple, bold flavours. It is ready in under 15 minutes if you have cooked rice at hand. It is perfect for any time when hunger strikes.
Servings 4 people
- 3 cups cooked rice or leftover rice
- 1.5 tbsp. peanuts raw
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp. split Bengal gram or chana dal
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 3-4 green chillies slit and cut
- 1 large lemon juiced
- 1 pinch asafoetida or heeng
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. cilantro or coriander leaves
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and cumin seeds. Allow them to sputter.
Now add 1.5 tbsp. raw peanuts and 1 tsp. chana dal or Bengal gram. Cook for a couple of minutes.
Add freshly grated ginger and curry leaves. Stir well.
Add split green chillies, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
Turn off the heat. Now add the cooked and cooled rice. Add lemon juice. Mix rice well with the spice mix.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Your tasty lemon rice is ready to serve.
- This is ready in under 15 minutes if using cooked rice.
- You can cook rice, cool it and then use to make lemon rice.
- Vary the quantity of lemon juice and green chillies used depending upon your taste. This lemon rice recipe is pleasantly sour.
- You can add chopped onion if you so like but this is how they make it here.
- Serve it with yoghurt raita for even more nutrition.
- You can also use fried cashews as a garnish for added crunch and taste. You can also use some grated coconut for garnish.
- This recipe is dairy free and vegan.
Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 114mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg