Potato leek soup recipe
This is a hearty and delicious leek and potato soup recipe that is light and perfect for both winter evenings and otherwise. Do try this easy recipe.
Servings 4 people
- 1 large leek take out the tough green leaves and chop up the rest after thorough washing
- 2 potatoes diced into cubes
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 small carrots chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 1 tsp. butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala (optional) my Indian twist
- salt to taste
- Some water, vegetable broth or chicken broth if you have them. You could use a soup cube if you have it
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped dill
- 2 mushrooms for garnish
Tip in the butter in a pan or a pot. Heat it. Put in the chopped veggies like leeks, onions, minced garlic, zucchini and carrots.
Let them cook for 3-4 minutes. Put in the potatoes and water or stock.
Let it come to a boil. Add salt and garam masala and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
Turn off the fire and blend it not too fine. Put the soup back in the pan and add milk. Boil for a couple of minutes more.
Add finely chopped dill and freshly ground pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Add finely sliced mushrooms either sauteed or cooked in the boiling soup for about a minute. Serve with toasted bread for a satisfying leek and potato soup.
- If you want potato leek soup vegan version then omit the milk and butter. Use stock and oil instead.
- If you can't find leeks, use spring onions in their place. You can also use more onion instead.
- This is a thick soup. Add more stock or water if it feels too thick.
- You could add other vegetables like beans etc. if you so desire.
Calories: 154kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 78mg | Potassium: 870mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 5980IU | Vitamin C: 29.5mg | Calcium: 149mg | Iron: 4.6mg