Foxtail Millet Khichdi Recipe
This foxtail millet khichdi recipe with a vegan version is a nutritionally balanced one pot meal that makes for a lovely breakfast or brunch. It has the goodness of millets with lentils and veggies. A must try recipe.
Servings 6 people
- 1 cup foxtail millet
- 1 cup split green gram lentils
- 1 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 tbsp. ghee or clarified butter or coconut oil for vegan recipe
- 1 cup chopped vegetables carrot, peas, broccoli, beans etc.
- 2-3 green chillies sliced optional
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. cilantro chopped
Soak millets and lentils for an hour. Drain and keep aside.
Heat 1 tbsp. ghee or coconut oil (for vegan) in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle. Now add sliced onions and fry till they are golden brown. Takes upto 5-6 minutes. Add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies and cook for 2 minutes. Now all the millets, lentils and chopped vegetables and mix well.
Add about 3 cups water, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt. Add cilantro.
Cook for 2 whistles.
Open the cooker. Sprinkle 1 tbsp. ghee or coconut oil on khichdi and fluff it up.
Your millet khichdi is ready to serve.
- Soaking millets is important as it helps in cooking it fast.
- Millets tend to dry out more during cooking hence adequate ghee/oil is needed.
- Add chillies as per taste.
- You can use any variety of millets in this dish.
- Use coconut oil for a vegan foxtail millet khichdi
Calories: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 20mg | Potassium: 467mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1560IU | Vitamin C: 5.9mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 4.3mg