How to Make Homemade Ghee - Clarified Butter
This is a step-by-step recipe of how you can make homemade ghee at home from milk cream. Homemade ghee is not only tasty but has many health benefits. Do try this easy recipe.
How to make homemade butter
Add 3-4 tbsp. of yoghurt or curd to this cream and mix well. Leave it overnight to form curd.
Once the curd is ready, you can churn it with a traditional churner, by hand, in a blender or a hand mixie.
I used a hand blender. It took me about 10 minutes for butter to separate from the whey. This whey or buttermilk is delicious. You can add a few spices and consume it. It is healthy as well.
Now wash this butter with water multiple times till the water runs clear. Your homemade butter is ready. You can use this fresh butter for your food or can heat it further to make ghee.
How to make ghee or clarified butter
Take an iron or copper pan and heat it. Now pour the butter in it. Heat it on low heat for about 10 minutes. You will see that the clarified butter or ghee will separate from the milk solids which settle down in the pan.
Once the milk solids have turned golden brown and completely separated from the ghee, turn off the flame and let it cool down.
Once cold, strain the ghee into a sterilized glass bottle.
Your homemade ghee is ready to use.
- Your ghee has a pale yellow colour and a very pleasant smell and taste.
- It has a granular semi-solid texture at room temperature and will solidify in winter.
- You can consume the milk solids left behind or add it to sweets. I sometimes eat it with a little sugar.
- You can store the homemade ghee in a glass bottle and it will not spoil. If you are using homemade butter, store it in the fridge.
- You can store milk cream for more than 7-10 days by storing in the freezer. Then you can make a larger monthly batch. If milk cream is stored for more time in the fridge, it may start smelling sour hence it is better to make ghee from it every 7-10 days unless you are freezing it.
Calories: 32kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 18mg | Potassium: 45mg | Sugar: 2g | Calcium: 2mg