Mango Rice Recipe | How to Make Mango Rice
This is a super simple step-by-step recipe that shows you how to make raw mango rice. I love how simple it is to make and love the tart taste of raw mangoes in this recipe.
Servings 4 people
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 tbsp. oil
- ½ raw mango grated
- 3 tbsp. peanuts
- 1 tsp. chana dal split chickpeas
- 1 tsp. urad dal split black lentils
- ¼ tsp. turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 2 red chillies dry
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 pinch asafetida
- 2 tbsp. grated coconut
- 2 green chillies sliced
- 1 tbsp. cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
Keep all the ingredients together when you start making this dish.
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and peanuts and saute till peanuts are golden brown.
Now add heeng or asafetida, chana dal, urad dal and curry leaves. Saute for 1 minute on low flame.
Add dry red chillies, chopped green chillies and ginger paste and cook for 1 minute.
Now add grated raw mango along with turmeric powder and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes till raw mango is cooked and looks mushy. It will release water.
Now add grated coconut or coconut chutney (as I had some leftover). Mix everything well.
Add cooked rice and mix well taking care not to break the rice grains.
Serve hot garnished with chopped coriander leaves or cilantro.
Your delicious mango rice is ready to eat.
- This is a great dish for using leftover rice or pre-cooked rice. This does work better with previously cooked rice instead of freshly cooked rice.
- When sautéing ingredients always do so on low flame.
- I use half a raw mango as the mangoes I get here are very sour. If you are using a mango that is less sour, feel free to use more. Go as per the tartness you like.
- You can add more green chillies if you like a spicier rice.
- You can couple this rice with raita for a hearty meal.
Calories: 315kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 83mg | Potassium: 213mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 470IU | Vitamin C: 16.2mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1.3mg