Horsegram Dal | High Protein Dal
This horsegram dal also known as kulith or kollu dal is rich in protein, iron and Calcium. It is perfect for weight loss efforts. It is also very tasty. Do try my easy recipe.
Servings 6 people
- 1 cup horsegram Soaked overnight and drained
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp. ginger garlic paste
- 2-3 green chillies chopped
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne or red chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2-3 pinches asafoetida
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. ghee or clarified butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp ginger garlic grated
- Salt to taste
Wash and soak horsegram overnight. Now take the horsegram or kollu in a pressure cooker. Add about 3 cups of water, salt, turmeric powder, chopped onion, tomato, ginger garlic paste and green chillies.
Cook for about 5-6 whistles till the horsegram is well cooked. Let the pressure release normally.
Add garam masala powder, coriander powder and mix well.
For tadka or tempering:
Heat 1 tsp. ghee in a tempering pan. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida and allow to heat for about 30 seconds. Add grated ginger and garlic and cook till golden. Takes about 2 minutes. Now add cayenne and turn off the gas.
Add the tempering to the dal and mix well.
Garnish with chopped cilantro or coriander leaves and serve hot with rotis or rice.
Your horsegram dal is ready to serve.
1. This kulthi dal is not as thick as some of the other lentils. If you want your dal to be thicker, take 2-3 tbsp. of cooked horsegram and blend to a paste. Add it to thicken the dal.
2. Use spices as per your choice. Always taste and season.
3. You can garnish with lime juice if you so like.
4. You can also sprout horsegram as I have done here by keeping the soaked and drained horsegram covered in damp cheese cloth and washing it 3-4 times in a day with water. Keep it covered. You will see sprouts by evening or next day.
Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 203mg | Potassium: 668mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 573IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 5mg