Airfryer Tandoori Chicken Recipe
This is a step-by-step tandoori chicken recipe. It is a perfect party dish or snack, high protein and keto-friendly recipes. Lots of tips and tricks shared in the post.
Servings 6 people
- 1.5 lb. or 750 gm. chicken
- ½ cup thick yogurt or curd
- 2 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp. Kashmiri red chilli powder or paprika
- 1 tbsp. kasuri methi or dried fenugreek
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. pepper powder
- 1 tbsp. tandoori chicken powder or garam masala
- 2 tsp. roasted gram flour
- 1 tbsp. oil
- Salt to taste
- Lemon wedges
- Onion rings
- Chaat masala
Take similar pieces of chicken when making tandoori chicken. Eg. You can take chicken thighs, drumsticks or breast pieces with bone. Make slashes and keep aside.
Now take all the ingredients for marinade and mix together to form a thick marinade. It is important that the marinade be thick or else it will not stick well to your chicken pieces.
Now generously apply the marinade all over your chicken pieces and in the slashes.
Marinade for at least 2 hours. It is tastier if marinated overnight in the fridge.
To Airfry chicken
Preheat airfryer to 360 F or 180 C for 6 minutes.
Baste or spray the chicken with oil and keep in the Airfryer basket. Cook for about 16-18 minutes depending upon how thick the pieces are. Turn midway and baste with oil again.
Once done your tandoori chicken will look nice and browned with a good char. It will be crispy outside and moist inside. Take care to cook it evenly.
Serve hot sprinkled with chaat masala (optional) for more tang and with lemon wedges and onion rings.
- Always take similar sized pieces of chicken. If not, cook the thicker pieces first and halfway through put in the smaller pieces to cook. You don’t want the chicken to overcook and become stringy.
- To make thick yoghurt, I hang curd in a cheese cloth for about half an hour to drain out the whey. We need thick yoghurt so that the marinade sticks well to the chicken.
- You can do away with pepper powder if you need less heat in your chicken or add more depending upon how spicy you want your chicken to be.
- Use paprika or Kashmiri chilli powder for low heat and a beautiful colour to the chicken.
- Oil in the marinade and basting helps keep the chicken moist when cooking.
- You can make the same recipe in the oven as well.
Calories: 305kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 93mg | Potassium: 314mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1330IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 2mg