1. You can soak rice and dal together for 30 minutes for even faster cooking.
2. Cooking in a pressure cooker makes the cooking faster. You can also use rice cooker or instant pot.
3. You can use other lentils like orange lentils, pigeon peas etc. in the same recipe.
4. You can add veggies like potatoes, cauliflower, beans etc. If adding veggies add chopped veggies when boiling the dal and rice.
5. For vegan recipe, substitute ghee with oil.
6. Khichdi with a tempering of ghee is considered to be a complete meal. It is perfect for dinner as it is light and easy on the tummy.