Chicken tikka is a favorite with the folks at home. The kind you get in the restaurant is often too red with the food colouring, very oily and way too spicy. Not that we don’t like that, but it is nice making it at home as well.
Of course, you do not get the smoky flavor of the tandoor, but it still turns out pretty tasty and wholesome. I make it in my Airfryer and it gets a lovely caramelized look and is tender and juicy to eat.
Here is my recipe of Chicken tikka:
- 400 gm. boneless Chicken breast cut into 2 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp. ginger and garlic paste
- 3 big tbsp. thick hung curd
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1 tsp. chilly powder
- 1 tbsp. Tandoori chicken masala
- 1 tsp. Kashmiri chilly powder (for the red colour)
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. oil/butter and some more for basting
- 1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper (skip if you prefer less spice)
- 1 tsp. kasuri methi powder
- Some chaat masala, lemon slices and onions slices for garnish
- The key in making good chicken tikka is in its marination.
- Take all the ingredients of the marinade and mix to form a thick paste.
- Evenly coat chicken pieces with this marinade and keep for 4-8 hours or even better overnight for the flavours to get absorbed.
- Now pre heat your airfryer at 160 deg for 6 minutes.
- Take skewers and put the chicken tikka pieces in. Baste with some butter/oil and grill in airfryer at 160 degrees for about 8 minutes. Next raise the temperature to 200 degrees and grill for about 6 minutes till it gets a lovely smoky look.
- You can do the same in a conventional grill or oven. Check the times depending on the type of your oven.
- Serve hot with lemon slices, slices of onion and sprinkled chat masala. Enjoy
We cook first at low heat to cook the chicken from inside and yet keep it moist.
The high heat cooking is to give it a nice charcoal grill look.
When using airfryer, turn the skewers halfway through the cook so that both sides get cooked evenly.
Don't overcook or the chicken will become stringy and chewy.
You could also do this on stove top by cooking on a hot tava/skillet. Heat a skillet. Pour some oil and put the tikkas. Cover with a lid and cook on medium heat till both sides are done.
Enjoy your hot and tasty chicken tikka and wow your family and friends. Do share with me if you like the recipe.