Thandai is a refreshing drink consumed for Holi and in summers. It has ingredients that nourish and cool your body and also make for a nutritious milk drink. You can make the mix and store in the fridge. Add cold milk to make it with this mix.
Here is my recipe:
- For the thandai mix:
- 15-20 almonds
- 15-20 cashews
- 2 tbsp. watermelon (magaj) seeds
- 2 tbsp. melon seeds
- 20 black pepper whole
- 3 tbsp. Poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp. saunf (fennel seeds)
- 8-10 Green cardamoms
- 1 cup sugar or as per taste
- Cold milk
- To prepare the thandai mix, soak almonds, cashews, melon, watermelon and poppy seeds in a little water for about 2 hours.
- Grind them to a fine paste with a little water and keep aside.
- Now finely powder the seeds of green cardamom, black pepper, saunf and sugar.
- Add everything together with a little water to form a thick mix.
- Pour this mix to fill ¼ths of a glass. Add cold milk and mix well. Your refreshing thandai is ready to consume.
For Holi, you can add some bhang to the thandai for that added kick. Bhang leaves can be ground or added. They don't have any taste just a dark green colour and are an intoxicant. I generally avoid it.
Store the remaining mix in the fridge and make thandai with cold milk when desired.
Some people mix saffron strands too for colour and taste. If you are doing so, immerse the strands in warm milk for sometime and then add to to the mix.
It is quite simple. Even your children will love it. Try it.
Do also try my other Holi recipes like gujiya.