Last week, I got a batch of ripe mangoes that were in the danger of going overripe, hence I decided to make mango jam at home. My jam has no preservatives and can stay in the fridge for upto a week. It is a very simple recipe to make, and the taste is quite fresh and different from the store-bought stuff. Here is the recipe:
Easy Homemade Mango Jam with Chilli Flakes and Cinnamon
Mango Jam ingredients
- 4 large ripe mangoes flesh cut in cubes
- 5 large tbsp. honey You can use sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp. chilli flakes optional
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
Take ripe mango cubes in a thick bottomed pan. Start cooking these on a low flame. You will find the mango cubes dissolving as it leaves a lot of water. Keep on stirring and cooking it gently for about 10 minutes. Add in the honey and cook for another 20 minutes. The mixture will begin to thicken and become glossier.
Add in the chilli flakes and mix well. Add lemon juice and mix. You will see the jam get thicker. To test whether it is done, take a drop on to a ceramic plate. It should stick to the plate and not roll off. Your jam is done. Let it cool a bit before filling it in a sterilized glass bottle. You can discard the cinnamon while bottling.
Your delicious mango jam with a kick of chilli is ready to eat. Have it with toasted bread or as a topping on ice cream.
1. Refrigerate the jam as soon as it comes to room temperature. Always use a clean, dry spoon to take out jam from the bottle.
2. This jam lasts for about a week in the fridge.
3. Vary the quantity of honey or sugar used depending upon the sweetness of mangoes and how sweet you like your jam. Remember sugar also helps to preserve the jam.
Do try this easy mango jam recipe. It is easy enough for novice cooks to get right.
If you like this post, do share. Also please rate the recipe by giving a * rating either on the recipe or in the comments. Thanks.
Subscribe to my monthly newsletter for more such recipes, health, food and fitness tips:
Click here to join