Aloo matar or simple peas potato curry which is rustic and homestyle and is soul-satisfying tasty. It is a regular fixture in my home during winters when we get fresh peas. Of course, one can easily make it with frozen peas as well. Serve it with chapatis or rice and it makes for a tasty meal. The recipe is really simple and makes for a quick curry.
These days I am using a cast iron kadhai and the richer colour and taste of the gravy can also be attributed to it. I am really enjoying using this kadhai for my daily cooking.
So here is the simple recipe:
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas (or frozen)
- 2 medium potatoes chopped in cubes
- 2 onions
- 2-3 tomatoes
- 2 green chillies
- 2 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. chilly powder
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- ½ tsp. coriander powder
- ½ tsp. amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Make the masala
- Take chopped onions, tomatoes, green chillies, ginger and garlic paste in a blender and blend to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Add cumin seeds. Allow them to sputter.
- Now add in the masala paste. Be careful as it will splatter. Mix well. Now add turmeric powder and salt and let it cook on low heat.
- I use a cover while cooking. Keep stirring to avoid the masala burning or sticking. Cook till the raw smell of the masala goes and you see oil separating from the masala.
- Now add the cubed potatoes and green peas. Add a cup of water and simmer on low heat till the potatoes and peas are cooked.
- Add coriander powder, chilly powder and garam masala powder.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. You may add more water if you prefer a thin gravy.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with chapatis or boiled rice.
I prefer using mustard oil but you can use any vegetable oil of your choice.
Adjust the spice like chillies, chilly powder and garam masala as per your taste.
Your aloo matar curry is ready to serve. Aloo matar punjabi curry is also made similarly. Do try and let me know.
You may try my other UP recipes here.
Do join my Food channel for some simple video recipes here.
Also subscribe to my monthly newsletter for a once-in-a-month roundup, recipes, health and fitness tips.