Tomato Rice is my go-to recipe when I am feeling lazy to cook something. Earlier, I would screw my nose at the thought of eating rice for breakfast but living in the South has made me more amenable to it. This South Indian recipe of tomato rice is perfect for breakfast, in your children’s tiffin, lunch and to pack with you for train journeys or picnics. A really easy dish that is ready in a jiffy if you have leftover rice. I make it mostly with leftover rice. It is a favourite of my kids. My son’s friend loved it so much that he insisted that his mother take my recipe and make it like mine. That was such a shot in the arm for me. 🙂 So anyway after that bit of show off, here is my recipe:
Tomato Rice Recipe
- 2 cups boiled rice I use leftover rice mostly
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 3-4 green chillies slit
- 4-5 large ripe tomatoes finely chopped or pureed
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tbsp sambar powder or garam masala powder
- 1 tsp. chilli powder optional
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- Salt to taste
- For Tempering
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. chana or gram lentils
- If you don't have cooked rice, cook rice and keep aside to cool.
- Now take oil in a kadhai and heat it. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and gram dal and fry till they all sputter.
- Now add the chopped onions and fry till translucent.
- Add the ginger paste and slit chillies. Mix well and fry for about 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the finely chopped tomatoes or puree.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, sambar powder and salt.
- Cook well till the tomatoes are well cooked and the paste looks darker and releases oil.
- Now turn off the gas and add the cooked rice.
- Mix well so that all the rice is covered with the tomato paste.
- Taste and adjust seasoning especially salt and heat.
- Serve hot with raita or a boiled egg. Delicious to eat.
Do try this easy recipe. I am sure that it will become regular fare in your home.
Have it with raita or egg for a balanced meal. Do try and let me know how you liked it.