I was inspired to come up with this recipe after having it at a restaurant. Juicy, sweet shrimp with sweet coconut and a spicy coating goes beautifully with a glass of beer or also with spicy Mexican rice that I had prepared with it. Really perfect for weekend meals. The recipe is so quick and easy to make that you won’t believe it. Just use fresh prawns.
Here is the recipe:
- ½ Kg. prawns
- 1 cup flour seasoned with salt, some dried oregano, basil and fresh pepper
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs and grated coconut shavings (half-half) seasoned with salt and chilli flakes
- Oil for deep frying
- Clean and devein the prawns. You can keep the tails on if you so like.
- Pat them dry and keep aside.
- Keep beaten eggs, seasoned flour and bread crumbs with coconut shavings in 3 bowls.
- Heat oil in a kadhai/wok.
- Keep it on medium heat.
- Now dunk the prawn first in egg mix, then in flour (brush off any excess flour) and then dip in bread crumbs and coconut mix. Now keep it aside. This way you do 5-6 prawns at a time.
- Put them in hot oil. Deep fry for 3-4 minutes till golden brown.
- Drain them and serve hot with a chilly sauce or any other sauce to your liking.
You can use any other herbs of your choice as well but don't overseason. Let the sweet taste of prawns shine through.
Serve the shrimp hot. The coconut really adds to the flavour.
You can also bake it in the oven after brushing with some oil or airfry in the the airfryer to cut down the calories.
Easy isn’t it? Do try and let me know how it went.
Here are some step-by-step pictures:
Bowls arranged with prawns, egg mix, seasoned flour and breadcrumbs with coconut mix.
Prawns getting deep fried.
If you like the recipe, please do share it.