Chicken Curry is a sort of a Sunday ritual at my home. I make various varieties of chicken curry ranging from Chettinad chicken curry to Butter chicken, Methi Chicken curry to Kolhapur chicken curry, thai chicken curry to many more. This is an easy homemade chicken curry which is quite simple but tastes super delicious. Just follow a couple of tricks that I share for the huge, hearty flavour. Here is the simple homemade chicken curry recipe:
- 750-800 gm,. chicken with bone (cut into pieces)
- Marinate in 1 tsp. turmeric powder, salt and 1 tbsp. chilli powder
- For the masala
- 4 large onions sliced
- 2 tbsp. ginger paste
- 2 tbsp. garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp. whole peanuts raw
- 5 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp. chicken masala (I use Everest)
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tbsp. chilly powder (optional)
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp. oil
- Marinate the chicken in spices for about 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a pan and sear the chicken till brownish on the outside. Keep it aside.
- Now heat the remaining oil in a pan/kadhai. Add cumin seeds and allow to sputter. Add pepper and peanuts. Cook for about 2 minutes. Now add sliced onions, ginger and garlic pastes and bhuano (roast) on low flame till golden brown and the ginger-garlic loses its raw smell. This is a slow process that must be done on low heat to bring out maximum flavour. It took me about 10-15 minutes. If the masala gets too dry add 1-2 tbsp. of water.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and cook everything till tomatoes are mushy. Takes about 5-7 minutes. Now cool it and blend. It will be a thick paste.
- Add the chicken with masala paste back to your pan. Add some water to make the curry runny. Add garam masala, chicken masala, turmeric powder, chilly powder and salt. Cook for 10 minutes on low flame or till the chicken is cooked and tender. Taste and adjust seasoning. Your chicken curry is ready. Serve with hot rotis or rice.
Adjust the chilly powder and masala powders as per your taste.
Adding peanuts adds body and flavour to the curry. You may not add them if you don't like the taste. Though I would suggest retaining them.
Do let me know if you try the recipe. You can tag #rachnacooks with your pictures if you share it.
This homemade chicken curry is scrumptious and will become a part of your regular cooking. Do try it. Also pin it if you enjoy it.
Subscribe to my monthly newsletter for more such recipes, health, food and fitness tips:
Click here to join
Also joining #FlavoursomeTuesdays. Do join for some yummy food tales.