I love Mexican Rice. It is flavourful and not very hot. It has a pleasant tomato taste with a chilli kick from jalapenos or any other hot chillies that you wish to use. You can easily make it in the rice cooker as I do or do it in a pan. Serve it with steak — chicken or fish or some sauteed prawns and some grilled veggies on the side. Not in the mood for that, just have it as a one-pot meal. It tastes good in your lunchbox too. Made with few simple ingredients you will fall in love with this recipe.
- 2 cups rice (I use sona masoori)
- 2-3 green chillies (or jalapenos)
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 onion chopped
- 500 gms. tomatoes
- a large bunch of coriander leaves chopped
- 3-4 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock (optional)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup corn kernels (or chopped peppers)
- Salt to taste
- Toast rice in olive oil on low flame for about 8-10 minutes till it is golden brown. Make sure you don't do it too vigourously. This keeps the rice nice and separate once cooked.
- In a blender, blend together onion, garlic, chillies and tomatoes. Add chicken stock (or seafood stock or water) to this blended mix. Bring it to a boil.
- Add this hot mixture to toasted rice in a deep pan or rice cooker. Add in the corn kernels. Add salt.
- Lower the heat and cover. Cook for about 15 minutes till the rice is well cooked but not mushy.
- Serve hot after adding lemon juice, garnishing with chopped coriander leaves and fluffing the rice a bit using a fork.
- Mexican rice is ready to serve.
You can add any vegetable you like to this dish though corn does taste the best.
You can reduce or increase the quantity of chillies depending upon taste.
You could use vegetable oil instead of olive oil as well.
If you are in a rush, you could do away with toasting though that does make the grains fluffier.
This simple recipe of Mexican rice will become a hit at your home. It does not take long to cook or much prep. So what are you waiting for? Do try this recipe.
Do tag #rachnacooks if you make this and share pictures. I would love to know if you tried out this easy recipe.
Do you want a FREE 4 week Lunchbox Planner with different daily lunch ideas along with BONUS Snack ideas, all healthy and wholesome with recipe links? Get it here.