Horsegram is also known as Kollu here in Karnataka or Kulthi in Hindi. I had not heard of it till recently let alone cook with it. A few months back, my mother-in-law carried this legume on one of her trips to my home. She mentioned that this grain has amazing health benefits and that we must include it in our diet. Apparently she had it regularly in her childhood. So, I read more about horsegram and was quite enthused to read about its amazing health benefits. It is a very high protein plant food, that is rich in iron, calcium and fibre. This is perfect for weight loss as it keeps you satiated for long and is nutritionally very rich. It is also very good for women during their periods and also helps with arthritis and joint pain. Since then, I have been cooking it in multiple ways — dal, rasam, soup, salad and as a stir fry. I also sprout this legume just like moong to enhance its nutritional benefits and then use it. This horsegram soup is delicious in a very homestyle way and is loved by the entire family.
- 2 cups horsegram sprouts (or horsegram soaked in water overnight)
- 1-2 green chillies finely chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 sprig curry leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp. black salt
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Cook the horsegram sprouts in the pressure cooker for 1 whistle with 2 cups water. Let it cool. If not using pressure cooker, just cook them lightly in water on stove top. Does not take too much time to cook for sprouts.
- If using soaked horsegram, cook in the pressure cooker with water for more whistles till the legume is well cooked.
- Now add the finely chopped green chillies, curry leaves, minced garlic, black salt and salt. Finish with lemon juice and mix well.
- Consume hot with boiled rice or just as is. It is tasty and really healthy.
This soup is runny and surprisingly tasty.
I prepare black gram or chana soup in a similar way with black chana sprouts. You can use this recipe for green moong spouts as well.
It is really simple yet tasty.
Do tag #rachnacooks if you make this and share pictures. I would love to know if you tried out this easy recipe.
Do you want a FREE 4 week Lunchbox Planner with different daily lunch ideas along with BONUS Snack ideas, all healthy and wholesome with recipe links? Get it here