Horsegram is also known as Kollu here in Karnataka, Kulthi or Kulith in Hindi. I had not heard of it till recently let alone cook with it. A few months back, my mother-in-law carried this legume on one of her trips to my home. She mentioned that this grain has amazing health benefits and that we must include it in our diet. Apparently she had it regularly in her childhood.
So, I read more about horsegram and was quite enthused to read about its amazing health benefits. It is a very high protein plant food, that is rich in iron, calcium and fibre. Horsegram for weight loss is often used as it keeps you satiated for long and is nutritionally very rich. It is also very good for women during their periods and also helps with arthritis and joint pain.
Since then, I have been cooking it in multiple ways — dal, rasam, soup, salad and as a stir fry. I also sprout this legume just like moong to enhance its nutritional benefits and then use it. This horsegram soup is delicious in a very homestyle way and is loved by the entire family.
Horsegram Soup | Kollu Soup | High Protein Weight Loss Recipe
- 2 cups horsegram sprouts or horsegram soaked in water overnight
- 1-2 green chillies finely chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 sprig curry leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp. black salt
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Cook the horsegram sprouts in the pressure cooker for 1 whistle with 2 cups water. Let it cool. If not using pressure cooker, just cook them lightly in water on stove top. Does not take too much time to cook for sprouts.
- If using soaked horsegram, cook in the pressure cooker with water for more whistles till the legume is well cooked.
- Now add the finely chopped green chillies, curry leaves, minced garlic, black salt and salt. Finish with lemon juice and mix well.
- Consume hot with boiled rice or just as is. It is tasty and really healthy.
Do tag #rachnacooks if you make this and share pictures. I would love to know if you tried out this easy recipe.
Also if you liked the recipe, I request you to give it a * rating in your comments or on the recipe card. Thanks.
Do also try out these horsegram recipes for weight loss