I enjoy seafood like prawns, crabs and fish way more than chicken. White pomfret is one of our favourite fishes to eat. The sons enjoy the mackerel and sardines too. Pomfret has a very tasty, delicate flesh that goes really well when you marinate it and make pomfret tawa fry with it. This will make for a perfect weekend meal without much slog.
Here’s how to make pomfret fry:
Pomfret Tawa Fry | Pomfret Fry
This is a super tasty and spicy pomfret tawa fry recipe. Except for the marination time, this recipe is super quick and really a delight for fish lovers. Do try.
- 4 pomfret fish cleaned, scales removed
For 1st marinade
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
For 2nd marinade
- 1 onion chopped
- 7-8 garlic cloves
- ½ inch ginger
- 2 green chillies
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. coriander powder
- ½ tsp. garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp. Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder optional
- 1 tbsp. besan gram flour
- 1 tbsp. oil
- salt to taste
- Oil for shallow frying
- Onion slices
- Lemon slices
- Chaat masala
Clean the fish well. Put slashes on both sides in the flesh so that the fish absorbs the marinade well. Now apply the ingredients of the first marinade ie salt, turmeric and lemon juice. Ensure that you apply in the slashes and the body cavity. Keep aside for 15 minutes.
Now prepare the second marinade. Take chopped onion, garlic, ginger, green chillies, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, Kashmiri chilli powder, red chilli powder (if using), besan, lemon juice, oil with salt and make a fine paste. Don’t add extra water. Let this marinade be thick.
Coat this second marinade on the pomfret pieces ensuring that you coat inside and outside well. Marinate for half an hour.
Now heat the pan to shallow fry the pomfret. Don’t crowd it too much. I cook one pomfret at a time.
Cook on each side for about 3 minutes on medium flame till each side is browned and the pomfret is well cooked.
Drain it and take it out on a plate. Serve with onion rings and lemon slices. Put some chaat masala on top if needed.
Serve it with chilled beer or with a side of rice pulao. Your delicious pomfret fry is ready to eat.
- Always buy fresh fish. Look for transparent eyes and red gills.
- Marinating it first with turmeric, salt and lemon juice helps remove the fishy smell.
- Remember that the first marinade already has salt so add salt in the second one accordingly.
- You could use rava or rice flour for a crunchy coating in place of besan or gram flour.
- Don’t overcook the fish. You can also bake it or cook it in airfryer instead of tawa frying it. Some people deep fry it as well.
- You can use this recipe for making other fish like seer fish, kingfish, mackerel, sardine etc. If you like you can coat the fish with some seasoned rava for a crunchy crust.
- Enjoy your pomfret tawa fry. If you do the marination in advance, this would be perfect for a get together with friends.
- Make deep gashes in the fish on both sides. Marinate for 15 minutes in salt, lemon juice and turmeric powder.
2. Take all the ingredients for a the second marinade and blend in a blender to a thick paste.
3. The 2nd marinade paste is quite thick.
4. Generously apply the marinade to the fish, both outside and inside. Marinate for 30 minutes.
5. Shallow fry in hot oil. Three minutes on each side was enough for me. Don’t overcook the fish. Serve hot with onion rings and lemon wedges.
Do try and let me know how it turned out.
You may also like
Pin This for later