Chicken tikka is a favorite with the folks at home. The kind you get in the restaurant is often too red with the food colouring, very oily and way too spicy. Not that we don’t like that, but it is nice making it at home as well.
What is Chicken Tikka?
Tandoori chicken tikka is a very popular Indian appetizer where pieces of cubed boneless chicken are marinated in a spiced yogurt marinade and then grilled over charcoal in a tandoor or clay oven (traditionally). It is spicy and truly delicious. To replicate the tandoor flavour, one can grill, barbecue, bake in oven or Air fry to get the same authentic chicken tikka taste.
You can replicate the smoky taste of the tandoor by getting a nice char on your grilled chicken.
How to Make the Perfect Tikka
The success of a good kebab is in chicken tikka marinade. You must marinate in a thick yogurt spice marinade preferably overnight. This makes the chicken tender and also flavourful. Then grilling it makes it really succulent and tasty.
Here is my recipe:
The Best Chicken Tikka Recipe
- 1 lb. Chicken breast boneless or 500 gm.
- 1 tbsp. ginger and garlic paste
- 3 big tbsp. thick yogurt
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tbsp. Tandoori chicken masala
- 1 tsp. paprika or Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. oil/butter and some more for basting
- 1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper skip if you prefer less spice
- 1 tsp. kasuri methi powder
- slices Some chaat masala lemonand onionsfor garnish
- The key in making good chicken tikka is in its marination.
- Take all the ingredients of the marinade and mix to form a thick paste.
- Evenly coat chicken pieces with this marinade and keep for 4-8 hours or even better overnight for the flavours to get absorbed.
For Air Fryer
- Now pre heat your airfryer at 160 C or 320 F for 6 minutes.
- Take skewers and put the chicken tikka pieces in. Baste with some butter/oil and Air fry at 160 C or 320 F for about 8 minutes. Next raise the temperature to 200 C or 390 F and air fry for about 6 minutes to get a lovely charred look.
- Preheat oven at 240 C or 460 F for 10 minutes. Line a baking tray with foil and arrange a grill tray on it. Line your tikka on skewers and bake for about 25-30 minutes till it is well cooked. You can do the same in a conventional grill.
- Serve hot with lemon slices, slices of onion and chaat masala. Enjoy
Enjoy your hot and tasty chicken tikka and wow your family and friends. If you like the recipe, do give it a star * rating. Thanks.
You May Also Like: