This is a hearty, filling and tasty soup. It is a variation of the tomato soup that my mum used to make back home in UP. Adding carrot and beetroot up its nutritional quotient and the beetroot lends a beautiful colour to it. I basically just chop everything, put it in the pressure cooker and then blend and sieve it.
Here’s the easy recipe:
- ½ Kg. tomatoes
- 1 small beetroot
- 2 red carrots (I prefer the sweeter Delhi carrots in season now)
- 1 small onion
- 5-6 small cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- ½ tsp. Black pepper
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. butter
- Croutons to serve
- Peel and cut all the vegetables into small pieces.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and ginger with a little salt and water and pressure cook for two whistles. Once cool, take it out and blend it well to a smooth paste. Sieve it and put the soup back on fire. Add the butter and let it dissolve.
- Now ad oregano and black pepper to taste.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve hot with croutons.
I generally toast the bread with butter. You could deep fry the bread pieces for home-made croutons.
You will enjoy this one especially in the chilly evenings of winter. Enjoy.