This is a hearty, filling and tasty soup. It is a variation of the tomato soup recipe that my mum used to make back home in UP. Adding carrot and beetroot up its nutritional quotient and the beetroot lends a beautiful colour to it. I basically just chop everything, put it in the pressure cooker and then blend and sieve it.
Here’s the easy recipe of how to make tomato soup:
Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1/2 Kg. tomatoes
- 1 small beetroot
- 2 red carrots I prefer the sweeter Delhi carrots in season now
- 1 small onion
- 5-6 cloves small garlic
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. butter
- Croutons to serve
- Peel and cut all the vegetables into small pieces.
- To the chopped veggies add chopped onion, garlic and ginger with a little salt and water and pressure cook for two whistles. Once cool, take it out and blend it well to a smooth paste. Sieve it and put the soup back on fire. Add the butter and let it dissolve.
- Now add oregano and black pepper to taste.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve hot with croutons.
- You could add a little sugar if the tomatoes are too sour. I didn't need to as the sweetness of the carrots balances it out.
- I generally toast the bread with butter. You could deep fry the bread pieces for home-made croutons.
- You can omit the beetroot if you don't like it.
This is the perfect season to have this healthy and nutritious tomato soup. Kids love it as well.
If you like this recipe, do share with your friends.
You will enjoy this one especially in the chilly evenings of winter. Enjoy.
Looking for more soup recipes click here.