Coriander Powder | How to Make Ground Coriander

by Rachna
dhania powder

Spices and spice mixes are the heart of Indian cooking. Our curries, dry preparations and almost every dish needs a spice to liven up its flavour. There are quintessential spices in every person’s spice box in India. Some of them are made at home and others are store bought. It has been my experience that the taste of curries and daily preparations are significantly enhanced if we prepare the spices fresh at home. Most times it requires a bit of planning and not much effort otherwise. Coriander powder or dhania powder is one such spice powder that has a mild, earthy flavour and fragrance. It adds depth of flavour to a number of dishes and is used regularly in my home.

coriander powder

Earlier I bought it from the store but it lacked the flavour and fragrance of the coriander powder that I prepared at home. Also I heard rumours of adulteration. Hence, I have started making my own coriander powder. It is super easy, and you are sure of the quality of the spice.

Here’s how I make coriander powder at home:

dhania powder
5 from 6 votes

Coriander Powder | How to Make Coriander Powder at Home

This is a simple method to make ground coriander at home. It requires barely any time and effort and the spice powder that you get is way superior than the store bought one.

Course Spice, Spice Mix
Cuisine Indian
Keyword coriander powder, dhania powder, how to make coriander powder at home
recipe coriander powder
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
Servings 20 people
Calories 29 kcal
Author Rachna Parmar

Ingredients

• 200 gm. coriander seeds

Instructions

1. Take a hot pan or tava.
  2. Roast coriander seeds on the tava till they are dark golden brown.
  3. Cool and blend in a blender. Your coriander powder is ready. Store in an airtight jar and use.

Recipe Notes

• Some people also toast a few bay leaves along with coriander seeds and powder them together.
  • You should always toast spices on low flame else they may burn and not cook uniformly. Toasting the spices helps release their flavour.
  • Always blend when cool and then store in an airtight container. This quantity of coriander powder hould easily last you a month or more without spoiling and while retaining its original aroma and taste.
  • Store coriander or dhania powder in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts
Coriander Powder | How to Make Coriander Powder at Home
Amount Per Serving
Calories 29 Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*
Fat 1g2%
Sodium 3mg0%
Potassium 126mg4%
Carbohydrates 5g2%
Fiber 4g17%
Protein 1g2%
Vitamin C 2.1mg3%
Calcium 71mg7%
Iron 1.6mg9%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Step-by-step Pictures

Take coriander seeds in a pan. Make sure that there are no impurities.

coriander powder

Toast gently on low flame for about 10 minutes till dark golden brown in colour.

coriander powder

Powder when cool in a blender

dhania powder

Your aromatic toasted coriander powder is ready to be used.

coriander powder

Try making your own spice powders. You will notice how the same food starts tasting better. You can use the same method to make cumin powder or jeera powder, red chilli powder from crisp dry red chillies and haldi or turmeric powder from dried turmeric (though that is not easy to mill in home blenders).

I will be sharing more spice mixes in future posts.

You may also like Garam Masala Recipe

If you liked this post, do share.

Pin This

Please pin this
coriander powder

This is a post for the #AtoZChallenge all of April. I will be sharing easy recipes, tips and tricks related to food all this month. Do stay tuned in.

Facebook Comments
19 comments

You may also like

19 comments

Sonia Chatterjee April 3, 2019 - 10:41 am

I love coriander. We use it in veg dishes, make parathas by mixing it with atta and add it raw to chat like I added to Bhel Puri yesterday. This post hits a chord with me.

Rachna April 3, 2019 - 2:14 pm

That’s nice to know Sonia. You add it to bhel too. That’s quite unique. I should try as well.

Shilpa Gupte April 3, 2019 - 11:41 am

5 stars
I add cumin seeds to my coriander powder and sometimes just make it plain. The home made one is much better than the store brought one!

Rachna April 3, 2019 - 2:14 pm

Yes, dhania jeera powder is made together just like ginger garlic paste. I prefer to keep them separately. I agree that nothing beats homemade spice powders.

Soumya April 3, 2019 - 12:55 pm

Coriander is a spice I have never understood, hence I never use it. I’ve been cooking regularly for six years now and yet I have never used this in my cooking. I’ll send this recipe to my mom though, she’d love to make this at home.

Rachna April 3, 2019 - 2:13 pm

Oh really! Wow! I use it in so many of my curries. Adding freshly ground coriander gives a nice earthy flavour to your dishes. 🙂

Kaddu April 3, 2019 - 1:44 pm

What timing for this post! I did this yesterday only! :P:P:P
You are right… market dhaniya powder has no flavour. AND tastes like dirt usually. Plus, I find it too finely ground. So I prepare my own, like you.
Love the pics in this one!

Find my post for today @ How to Create Amazing Content to Grow Your Business? The Simplest 5-Key Content Creation Strategy

Rachna April 3, 2019 - 2:12 pm

Exactly! Tastes like sand. I don’t know how they are able to sell that stuff. Glad that you also make fresh spice powders. Thanks for liking the pics!

Vidya Sury April 3, 2019 - 8:51 pm

You know I am the typical tambrahm when it comes to making my own “podis”! But that aside, I just love cooking from scratch. I love the aromas that fill our home when I roast and then grind. Did you know coriander powder is sometimes used in place of coffee powder to make “coffee”? ?

Mayuri Nidigallu April 3, 2019 - 10:24 pm

I love Dhaniya Powder. It adds a special taste to the food cooked using it. That’s such an easy recipe to make your own Dhaniya Powder.

Isha April 3, 2019 - 10:35 pm

I agree, homemade is any day better than market bought! Ensures good taste and quality.

Rachna April 4, 2019 - 9:16 pm

True Isha

Shalini April 3, 2019 - 11:35 pm

Ah, I love making coriander powder at home. I add a bay leaf or two, as you mentioned. A bit of added flavor, of course ?

Rachna April 4, 2019 - 9:16 pm

Perfect Shalini!

Reema D'souza April 4, 2019 - 12:25 am

I’ve often thought of making the masalas/powders at home but have been putting it off for the effort it takes. This looks doable for a newbie like me. Will try this!

Rachna April 4, 2019 - 9:16 pm

Glad that you liked the post, Reema.

Shalzmojo April 4, 2019 - 9:31 am

My mom mixes moti saunf; about half the quantity of the dhaniya seeds and then roasts and grinds it together. The sweetness of saunf makes this amazing – in smell and taste both!! I just made some 2 days back and my entire kitchen was smelling so sweet ?

Love the pinterest graphic Rachna – very attractive and eye catching!

Rachna April 4, 2019 - 9:15 pm

That’s interesting, Shalz! I will add moti saunf next time.

Shilpa Garg April 4, 2019 - 6:38 pm

We always make coriander powder at home. I liked your idea of adding bay leaves to it. Will add it next time. Thanks for sharing this fab tip, Rachna!