Rasam is among the first South Indian foods that I fell in love with. It is a runny soup type of preparation which is made with sour tomatoes or tamarind paste or lemon juice with some spices and tempering. On my first visit to Bangalore, I would drink rasam like a soup at every meal. Today, it is standard fare at my home, my favourite being tomato rasam. This rasam powder recipe is taught to me by my mother-in-law who has grown up in Karnataka and lived a long time in Hyderabad. If you like rasam, it really helps to make this rasam powder fresh. It makes a world of difference to the taste.
Here’s my rasam powder recipe:
Rasam Powder Recipe | How to Make Rasam Powder
This rasam powder recipe is simple to make and will give you a fragrant, delicious rasam every single time. Try this easy recipe and make your own spice mixes.
- 3 tbsp. Coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp. Fenugreek seeds
- 8-10 Dry red chillies
- 6-8 Bedgi or Kashmiri red chillies
- 1 tbsp. peppercorns
- 2 pinches Asafoetida Heeng
- 1 tbsp. split pigeon peas tuar dal
- 1 tbsp. split chickpeas chana dal
- 1 sprig curry leaves
Roast each spice separately till it gets toasted. First roast coriander and cumin seeds individually. Let both kinds of dry red chillies get crispy. Roast pepper corns, tuar dal and chana dal till golden brown. Do it on low flame so that none of the spices get burnt. Wash the curry leaves and dry them, then toast them till they are crispy.
Wait for them to cool down and then powder in a blender.
Once cool, store in an airtight jar. Your rasam powder is ready.
- You can add or skip chana dal to your rasam powder. It adds volume to your rasam.
- You can adjust the quantity of red chillies and pepper powder as per the heat you enjoy. I like my rasam spicy.
- Bedgi red chillies are non-spicy chillies generally added for their colour and not heat.
- You can make this powder and store it for up to a month for a retained fresh taste.
This is how to make rasam powder. Hope you found it easy and will try it.
If you liked the rasam powder recipe, I request you to give a * star rating either on the recipe or when you comment. Thank you.
Please do share with your friends.
You may also like other Coriander Powder Recipe
This is a post for the #AtoZChallenge all of April. I will be sharing easy recipes, tips and tricks related to food all this month. Do stay tuned in.
Read all my posts in A to Z challenge here.