Among the many karela recipes that I try, karela chips is a favourite snack.
Yesterday, I made some airfried karela or bitter gourd chips with masala. Remember the kurkuri bhindi I had shared earlier, this is similar but the chips require some more work.
Karela or Bitter gourd is a bitter vegetable that is cooked with a lot of care in Indian cuisine. I have grown up eating this simple karela stir fry as well as the more elaborate bharwa karela or stuffed bitter gourd.
Health Benefits of Karela or Bitter gourd:
- Karela has been a part of a diet for diabetics for a long time in India as it is believed to regulate blood sugar as per this source.
- It can help in reduction of bad cholesterol in the body. Source
- It has abundant anti-oxidants that help in improving the condition of your skin and hair.
- Karela is high in fibre and vitamins. Its regular consumption helps in weight loss and maintaining weight as a part of a healthy diet.
- Karela due to its antimicrobial and anti-oxidants helps in purifying blood and flushing out toxins from the body.
Here is the karela chips recipe:
Karela Chips Recipe | Crispy Bitter Gourd Chips
- 2 bitter gourd sliced into thin rounds
- 3 tbsp. chickpea flour or besan
- 1 tbsp. rice flour
- ½ tsp. carom seeds or ajwain
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. amchur or dry mango powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp. oil
- I added some salt to the bitter gourd slices and kept aside for an hour. Then I squeezed them to remove the extra water and salt. This helps reduce the bitterness.
- Add all the masala powders together and sprinkle all over the bitter gourd slices.
- Mix well and leave aside to marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Now add 1 tbsp. oil and mix again. By now, the spice coating would adhere to the bitter gourd slices.
- If deep frying, heat oil in a pan and slowly fry the roundels till crispy. Drain on a kitchen paper towel and consume.
- Preheat airfryer at 160 deg C for 5 minutes.
- Brush the basket and lay out bitter gourd chips for airfrying or you can use parchment paper (helps prevent sticking).
- Airfry for 10 minutes turning once in the middle.
- Now bump up the temperature to 200 deg C and airfry for 6-8 minutes more turning once in the middle.
- Your bitter gourd chips should turn golden brown and crispy.
- Serve hot with chai.
How to Make Karela Chips or Bitter Gourd Chips Pictures
To the thinly sliced karela slices, add salt and keep aside for 30 minutes. Squeeze out all the water and wash the slices to remove excess salt. Now they are ready to be marinated.
Add all the spice powders along with chickpea flour and rice flour and sprinkle all over the bitter gourd slices.Mix well and leave aside to marinate for about 20 minutes.
Now add 1 tbsp. oil and mix again. By now, the spice coating would adhere to the bitter gourd slices.
Preheat airfryer at 160 deg C for 5 minutes. Brush the basket and lay out bitter gourd chips for airfrying or you can use parchment paper (helps prevent sticking).
Air fry for 10 minutes turning once in the middle. Now bump up the temperature to 200 deg C and air fry for 6-8 minutes more turning once in the middle.
Your bitter gourd chips should turn golden brown and crispy.
Do try this karela chips recipe and let me know. If you liked the recipe, I request you to give it a star * rating either on the recipe card or in the comments.
Do you make karela chips in this manner? Did you like this healthy recipe? Do share with me.