Sarson ka saag or mustard greens is among my favourite winter recipes. It is sometimes difficult to source this green in Bangalore, but I am able to get it in some shops. I normally make it with bathua (chenopodium greens) and palak (spinach greens).
Serve sarson ka saag hot with makki ki rotis (rotis of maize flour) smeared liberally with ghee, and you are in seventh heaven. This recipe requires time and patience to make especially the cleaning and washing the greens. But the saving grace is that you can make it in large quantities. It does taste better the next day. You may also freeze some of it and have it later.
Every person has a different way of cooking this Punjabi sarson ka saag. But one proportion that I have seen across the board is 2 parts of mustard greens and 2 parts of bathua and 1 part spinach. I also put one cupful of methi (fenugreek) and other greens like radish greens if they are on hand.
Punjabi sarson ka saag recipe
- 2 bunches mustard greens
- 1 bunch bathua greens (chenopodium leaves)
- 1 bunch bunch spinach leaves
- 1 cupful methi and other greens
- 1 big radish
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 10-12 cloves garlic
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 tbsp. maize flour
- Salt to taste
- For the seasoning tadka
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2-3 green chillies minced
- 1 inch piece ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. asafoetida
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- Clean the greens and wash them well.
- Chop them and keep aside.
- Now take the greens in a pressure cooker. Add chopped tomatoes, onions, green chillies, radish, ginger and garlic with maize flour and salt.
- Add some water and close the cooker.
- Cook for 3 whistles and let it cool down.
- Now coarsely mash the greens in a blender. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes to intensify taste.
- Before serving, temper with ghee, cumin seeds, asafoetida, onion, chillies and ginger.
Carefully clean all the greens. Leave out any hard stalks. Now wash them well ensuring that all mud and grime is completely washed off. This process takes quite some time but is unavoidable. Now chop all the greens and put them in a pressure cooker. Put in the chopped radish, tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger and green chillies. Put in one cup of water and some salt and maize flour let it cook in the cooker for three whistles.
Allow it to cool down naturally. Now blend all the ingredients together to form a green puree. I prefer to not blend it very fine but go by what you like. Now put it back on fire and cook it on low heat for about 15-20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. This saag is normally of a thicker consistency. Don’t make it runny. Before serving, season it with all the seasoning ingredients. Serve hot with makki ki roti made with maize flour. This is a perfect winter meal that is bursting with taste and nutrition and also is hearty and warming. Enjoy it.
Watch this video recipe of sarson ka saag
You may also like these winter recipes on Rachna cooks.