Plump large eggplants or brinjal have almost exclusively been used to make bharta at my place. This is one simple recipe that can transform this bland vegetable to a delightfully spicy and tasty dish. It is also a very simple dish to prepare. Here is the recipe of baingan ka bharta as my mum made it UP style.
- ½ Kg large eggplants
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2-3 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1.5 large tbsp. ginger garlic green chillies minced or crushed
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. chilly powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 tsp. mustard oil or any other oil that you have
- salt to taste
- coriander leaves to garnish
- Roast the brinjal on fire till they are charred on the outside and well cooked on the inside. Let them cool and then peel off the burnt skin. Finely chop or mash the pulp and keep aside. Now take oil in a pan. Put in cumin seeds and allow them to sputter. Add onions and ginger-garlic-chilly chopped. Cook for a few minutes till onions are transparent and slightly golden. Now add the tomatoes and cook some more till they have released their water. Add in the brinjal pulp and all the masalas including salt. Mix well. Cover and cook till everything seems well integrated. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Your baingan ka bharta is ready. Serve hot. Have with hot rotis smeared with ghee. Absolute bliss! This is pure homecooked comfort food. Do try this recipe and let me know.
2. Some people discard the stub but I enjoy having it.