Matar ka nimona is a green peas curry made commonly during winter in Uttar Pradesh. This matar recipe does have a strange name but it tastes good when made with fresh, sweet peas that one gets in winter. I remember mum cooking it during the winter months when I was a child. Some people also make it with green chana or fresh green gram.
It is a relatively simple, homestyle dish that goes well with chapatis and rice both. It is another great recipe with peas that come bountiful at this time of the year.
So here is my matar ka nimona recipe:
Matar Ka Nimona from UP
- 1.5 cups fresh green peas shelled
- 3-4 green chillies as per taste you can reduce or increase the number of chillies
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 3-4 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. mustard oil use regular oil if you don’t have mustard oil
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 pinch hing asafoetida
- 2 tbsp. chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 green cardamom
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 4 cloves
Make a masala paste of green chillies, coriander leaves, ginger and garlic along with tomatoes. This will have a greenish tinge.
Now heat oil in a kadhai or pan.
Add in cumin seeds and asafoetida and allow to sputter for about 30 seconds. Now add whole spices and cook for a minute more.
Add in the masala paste. Cook for about 10 minutes till tomatoes are well cooked and there is no kachcha or raw smell to ginger-garlic paste. You can see that oil comes out on the sides of the masala.
Take peas in a blender and make a fine paste leaving a few peas coarse or whole.
Once the tomato-green masala is cooked, add the blended peas mixture to it and cook on a low flame for 5 minutes.
Now add water depending upon how thick you want the curry to be.
Add salt and coriander powder. Cover and cook on low heat till the gravy is done. Takes about 5-10 minutes.
Switch off the heat. Add garam masala.
Taste and adjust seasoning.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
1. This is best made with fresh peas though you could use frozen peas too. The flavour will be different then.
2. Some people also add finely cubed potato to the dish. In case you are using potatoes, cook them along with the green peas mixture.
3. You may use onion in the masala but I avoid it.
4. Make the curry thick or runny as per your preference.
5. Mustard oil is preferred though you may use regular vegetable oil.
6. This is really delicious and unique pea curry.
Do try this matar ka nimona recipe and let me know how it turned out.
Check out this video of the hari matar ka nimona recipe