A friend of mine had a bag full of chillies from her farm. Seeing them, I wanted to make this instant green chilli pickle. Since it is not elaborate in preparation or requires too much time, I was game to make it right away. This is a really simple pickle recipe that even a novice can make. It is ready in days and can be consumed with any meal to enhance its taste. Since it is so simple to make, I would urge you to give it a try. Mostly made with chillies that are not hot, it is flavourful.
Here is the simple recipe of instant green chilli pickle or hari mirch ka achaar:
- 100 gm. green chillies chopped
- 4 tbsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. black salt
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- Juice of 2-3 lemons
- 1 tbsp. red chilly powder
- 3 tbsp. oil (preferably mustard oil)
- Wash and dry the chillies.
- Chop them into bite-sized pieces and keep aside.
- In a bowl, mix the salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder and crushed mustard seeds along with lemon juice.
- Add this to the chillies.
- Heat the oil (if using mustard oil). Let it smoke and then add to the chillies-spice mix.
- Let it cool down completely.
- Now take a sterilized glass bottle and fill the chillies with the spice mix in it.
- You can keep it in the sun for 2 days or in a warm place.
- You can start eating the pickle after 2 days.
- It tastes quite good within a couple of days when the mustard has matured and lent a tart taste to the chillies.
You can use any vegetable oil but mustard oil adds more flavour.
The chilly gets mellowed in taste as the pickling happens.
Have it as a side to your parathas or meals.
Adjust the quantity of salt as per your taste.
You can skip the chilly powder if you like.
Do try this easy pickle and let me know if you liked it.