Aloo methi is soul food. Very simple and made with just a few ingredients, it is perfect with rotis or parathas. It is a regular in my home and is a favourite of the husband. If you are a novice cook, this is the foolproof recipe that you will not go wrong with.
Here is my recipe:
Aloo Methi Recipe | Potato with Fenugreek Leaves
- 250 gm. fresh fenugreek leaves
- 3-4 large potatoes chopped into cubes
- 3-4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1 tsp amchur dry mango powder optional
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. oil
- Pluck the fresh fenugreek leaves and discard stalks.
- Wash them well till there is no grit on them. Strain out all the water.
- Now chop them fine. Don’t make a paste though.
- Take oil in a kadhai/wok and heat it.
- Add cumin seeds and chopped garlic and cook for about a minute. Don’t let the garlic burn.
- Now add the chopped potatoes and mix well to coat with oil.
- Cover and cook for about 4-5 minutes on low flame till they are nicely browned on all sides and half cooked.
- Now add the chilli powder and salt and mix well.
- Add the fenugreek leaves and mix well.
- Cover and cook till the leaves have wilted and released water. Takes about 3-4 minutes.
- Now cook uncovered and allow all the water to evaporate. Your potatoes should be cooked by now.
- This is a dry sabzi and no water must remain.
- You can add your amchur powder now and stir well. Cook for one more minute.
- Your methi aloo is ready to serve.
1.You can use baby potatoes in place of normal potatoes. When I do so, I leave the skins on. They taste quite good that way.
2. You can add amchur or lemon juice right towards the end to take away some of the bitterness of the fenugreek leaves. Some people though prefer this bitter.
3. I prefer to use mustard oil but you can use any oil you like.
This is a really simple recipe. Serve it with some dal tadka and rotis for a satisfying meal.
If you like methi or fenugreek leaves, do also try my methi theplas or parathas recipe.
Do also subscribe to my food channel for some easy recipe videos.