Soups are a favourite meal of mine. They are fresh, warm and can be easily made a hearty or light meal of. One of my favourite soups since childhood is hot and sour soup. This is made in Indo-Chinese style and is slurpworthy. Hot and sour vegetarian soup can easily be turned into Hot and Sour chicken soup by adding some boiled or grilled chicken to it.
Here is my recipe of this wonderful soup:
Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
This delicious hot and sour vegetarian soup is perfect for all seasons. Brimming with the goodness of fresh and crunchy veggies, it is light and can be had at any time of the day.
- 2 cups fresh vegetables Use beans, cabbage, green capsicum or red and yellow peppers, mushroom, zucchini, carrots, broccoli
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. red chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- salt to taste
- 4 cups veg stock or water
- 1 tbsp. green onion finely sliced
- 1/2 tbsp. pepper powder
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. cornflour dissolved in water
- 1 tbsp. coriander leaves chopped
Heat oil in a pan. Lightly saute onion, garlic and ginger for about 2 minutes. N
Now add the chopped vegetables. You can pre-boil them or use them raw and cook them. Cook for about 5 minutes.
Add soy sauce, chilli sauce and veg stock. Let it come to a boil and simmer for another 7-8 minutes.
Add sugar, pepper powder, salt to taste. Taste and adjust seasoning. Now add cornflour water slurry and cook for a minute more to let the soup thicken.
Add vinegar and take it off the stove. Mix well. Serve hot and sour veg soup garnished with coriander leaves.
- You can use any combination of vegetables depending upon what you have at hand. Corn and peas are also good to use.
- To make hot and sour chicken soup, add shredded and boiled or grilled chicken bits along with the sauces and cook as per the recipe. You may also use prawn or fish, but do add it towards the end so that it is not overcooked.
- You can add paneer or tofu to the soup to make it more protein rich.
- Use the sauces as per your taste. If you prefer mild, cut down on chilli sauce.
- You can avoid cornflour slurry if you don't like your soup to be thickened.
- Cut the vegetables uniformly and thinly so that they cook evenly.
- I prefer my veggies to stay crunchy instead of being overcooked and mushy.
So this is what is hot and sour soup when made home style.
If you liked this recipe, do let me know.
Also share with your friends.