I have recently started incorporating horsegram or kulthi in my diet. As a part of kollu recipes, I already shared the simple recipe of Kollu Soup or Horsegram soup earlier.
Today I am sharing the recipe of Kollu rasam which a Tamil friend told me about. I absolutely love this recipe. It is easy to make, tasty and is supposedly good for colds and coughs. So here’s my easy recipe of Kollu Rasam:
Horsegram Rasam | Kollu Rasam Recipe
- 2 to tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 cup Horsegram or Kollu sprouted or soaked in water
- 6-7 cloves of garlic
- 15 black peppercorn
- ½ tsp. roasted cumin powder
- Salt to taste
For the tempering
- 1 tbsp. oil
- ½ tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 pinch asafetida
- 3-4 dry red chillies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- coriander leaves Chopped
- Cook finely chopped tomatoes with a little water and salt in a pan. Should take about 5 minutes to get squishy. Mash with the back of a ladle.
- Soak horsegram or kollu in water overnight. Now pressure cook with 2 cups of water till the horsegram is cooked. Strain the water to use in rasam.
- In a blender, blend together garlic, peppercorns and one ladle full of cooked kollu or horsegram. If you wish, you could blend the squished tomatoes here as well.
- Now put this back on the fire with 2 cups of strained kollu water. Add salt to taste along with cumin powder and cook out for 4-5 minutes.
- Add more water if the rasam feels thick.
- Now heat oil and add mustard seeds. Allow to sputter. Add the remaining ingredients and let them cook for a few seconds.
- Pour into the hot rasam. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.
- I like to sprout my kollu or horsegram. It ups the nutrition of the grain.
- I also make a simple stir fry of the boiled horsegram to go with the food.
- You may use one tbsp. of tamarind extract if you like your rasam to be more tart. I prefer the sourness from tomatoes.
- This is a tasty and very comforting rasam recipe that is also very good for you.
Cook finely chopped tomatoes with a little water and salt in a pan.
In a blender, blend together garlic, peppercorns and one ladle full of cooked kollu or horsegram. If you wish, you could blend the squished tomatoes here as well.
Now put this back on the fire with 2 cups of strained kollu water. Add salt to taste and cook out for 4-5 minutes.
Add more water if the rasam feels thick.
Temper and garnish with coriander leaves. Serves hot kollu rasam with boiled rice.
So this was the easy Kollu rasam recipe. Do try it. I am sure you will enjoy this variation of rasam with your food.
I normally drink it like kollu soup.
Did you like this recipe? If you did, please share with your friends.